If you are thinking of buying an older home, you might want to consider that it could possibly be wired with aluminum wiring. Is this something you should be concerned about?
Here are a few factors to consider;
- Aluminum has been shown to have certain weaknesses which make it less durable than copper wiring
- Aluminum is a soft metal, which can break down, especially if it has been twisted and bent a lot. and this can pose a real danger
- If exposed to air, aluminum can oxidize which can eventually create a fire hazard.
- If you are considering buying a house that hasn’t been lived in for a while or has been neglected, be aware that electrical fixtures such as outlets and light fittings containing aluminum wiring can become a dangerous fire risk when neglected.
- You might not be able to insure the home if it has aluminum wiring
As you can see from this very brief overview, aluminum wiring can be quite dangerous especially as it poses a much greater fire risk than copper wiring
Please contact us for more information and also advice on what to do if you have aluminum wiring is in your home.